Pages

Welcome

Through Creative Life and Other Fancies, I seek to inspire and inform people about living as a creative person. Here you will find my successes, failure, and best of all, attempts. Enjoy!

Monday, March 21, 2011

A little more on goal setting

I may talk about this a lot but it's something that's near and dear to my heart.  I get asked a lot about goals and how to go about achieving them.  I've written before that I post mine up so I can see them.  But what good is posting them and telling them to others to help keep you accountable if the desire just isn't there?


So here's the new challenge:  attaching a strong emotion to those goals.  Something so strong that if you don't do them, you will feel like you've let yourself down.  And there's nothing worse than letting yourself down.  OK, maybe letting your mother or partner down and knowing they're disappointed in you is worse but you get the idea.


Deep breath, here's mine.  I feel horrible if I don't try my best at something and do a good job.  If I feel that I've let someone down because I didn't put my all into something, I'm a wreck.  I still feel terrible about the time my favourite teacher in high school caught my friends and I copying our homework from each other.  All he had to do was shake his head and sigh in disappointment for me to spend the rest of my academic career trying desperately to make up for it.  When I passed this by my fiance, he just smiled that knowing smile of his and said that sounded exactly like me.  So here I am, attaching this to my biggest goals.


What's your strong emotional tie to your goals?  Ain't got one?  Do some soul searching.  Why do you want to do something?  It's all well and good to want to get out of debt for example, but if it's not emotionally important to you, it probably won't happen.  At least, that's the way it is for me.


Oh and PS:  I write killer essays and assignments now. Or did when I was in university.


Think it through and happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment