Pages

Welcome

Through Creative Life and Other Fancies, I seek to inspire and inform people about living as a creative person. Here you will find my successes, failure, and best of all, attempts. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Enough with Reality TV

Sorry this is a rant post.  Flipping through the channels tonight and as usual I'm greeted by an obscene number of reality shows.  I'll admit there are a couple I love: Pawn Stars (I'm a history geek) and Say Yes to the Dress (I'm girl and there are pretty things on that show) are about the only ones I can stand.  Between women and men who are so desperate for fame and just horrible concepts for shows, is it really any wonder that our industry is suffering?


What happened to the whole paying your dues and actually having a good work ethic?  I, for one, love seeing an actor or actress develop into an artist.  Take Natalie Portman.  She's worked her butt off for years and is at a point that no one can deny how talented she is.  But she worked.  She educated herself while immersing herself in her craft.  


I'm all for getting yourself noticed but I think you need to be careful how you're getting noticed.  Is it because you genuinely did a good job or is it because you made a spectacle?  This industry, while seemingly impossible for people to get into, is actually a very small community.  Everyone knows everyone.  Word travels and a good reputation is a precious thing to have.  Build one and guard it like the treasure it is.


Happy creating!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed!you said that very well and it didn't seem ranty at all.

    ReplyDelete